Yields: 6-8 portions
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into small dice
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ green pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, chopped and compacted
- 2 pounds salted codfish
- 2½ cups (20 ounces) fish stock
- 2 ears of corn, sliced
- 5 ounces corn kernels, cooked in unsalted water
- 1 cup (8 ounces) broad beans, cooked in unsalted water
- 1 cup (8 ounces) Andean beans (or any bean of your preference), cooked in unsalted water
- 1 cup (8 ounces) lentils, cooked in unsalted water
- 4 cups (32 ounces) milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) white rice, cooked in unsalted water
- 1½ pounds pumpkin. Cook 1 pound in unsalted water and reserve the liquid. Cut the remaining uncooked ½ pound into small dice
- 1/3 cup cabbage, finely cut and cooked
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen peas and carrots
- 2 carrots, uncooked and cut into sticks
- ½ cup (4 ounces) cauliflower florets, uncooked
- Garnish: 8 hard-boiled eggs, sliced. Chopped cilantaro
See also: Peruvian-style shrimp chowder.
- Soak codfish in water for 24 hours, changing water at least twice.
- Cook listed vegetables separately.
- In a large pan, heat oil at medium heat, add onion, garlic, green pepper and cilantro. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add codfish and cook for 5 minutes at medium heat.
- Add fish stock and cook for 10 additional minutes. Remove half the codfish and shred. Set aside.
- Add the corn, broad beans, Andean beans, lentils and milk, and cook covered for 6-8 minutes.
- Add rice, cooked pumpkin with its broth, beans, frozen peas and carrots, and cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, cabbage, carrot sticks, ½ pound of diced pumpkin and the remaining shredded codfish, and cook for 4 minutes uncovered.
- Serve topped with sliced hard boil eggs and chopped cilantro.
You may also like: More recipes from Hispanic cooking expert Denisse Oller.
Discounts & Benefits
Next ArticleRead This