- ½ teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into ¾-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 medium yellow pepper, seeded and finely sliced
- 1 medium red pepper, seeded and finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups short grain rice
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ½ pound fresh tomatoes, peeled and seedless, and diced
- 6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, cut into chunks
- 5 ounces frozen baby green peas
- Steep saffron in 3 tablespoons hot water.
- Sprinkle eggplant with salt, leave to drain in colander for 20 minutes, then rinse and dry.
- In a large deep sauté pan, heat olive oil and sauté onions, garlic, peppers and eggplant for about 5 minutes. Add paprika and stir. Mix in rice then add stock, tomatoes, saffron and salt to taste. Bring to a boil; simmer for 15 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated.
- Add mushrooms and peas. Lower heat and cook an additional 10 minutes until liquid is absorbed, fluffing rice with a fork as needed. Serve.