- 1 cup short grain white rice
- 4 cups fish stock, warmed
- 14-ounce bag frozen pigeon peas (may substitute green peas)
- 1½ pounds medium shrimp, tail off, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Bijol
- 1 medium Spanish onion, diced
- ½ red pepper, julienned
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- ½ pound cooked ham, cut into medium pieces
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and cored, diced
- 3 small sweet peppers or ½ Cubannelle sweet pepper, seeded and cored, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup Spanish tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- ½ tablespoon oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix shrimp and Old Bay seasoning, place in a container, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Pour olive oil into a medium-sized pot and heat over medium flame. Add Bijol and mix well. Add onion, cook 3–4 minutes until light golden. Add red peppers and garlic and cook 2 additional minutes, until shrimps lose their raw taste.
- Add ham, tomatoes, cilantro, tomato sauce, capers and oregano; simmer for another 5–6 minutes.
- Add pigeon peas. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add rice and stir.
- Add fish stock and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover rice and cook for approximately 20 minutes.
- Add shrimp, stir and cook 2 additional minutes, until they turn pink. Serve.
Discounts & Benefits
Next ArticleRead This