- 1 pound okra
- 3 lemons
- 2 partly ripe plantains
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound pork cushion meat, cut into small dice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- ½ chili pepper or red pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- ½ teaspoon Bijol (annatto)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound pumpkin, skinless, rinsed and diced
- Salt to taste
- Rinse okra well in water. Cut in ½-inch rounds and place in deep dish. Spray with lemon juice, mix and let rest for 10 minutes. Strain and set liquid aside.
- Cut unpeeled plantains in 1-inch pieces and boil. When tender, remove from heat and cool. Peel skin, mash and make small 1-inch diameter plantains balls.
- Brown pork in oil in a large pan. Salt chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and brown for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using the same pan, lower heat to medium temperature. Add onion, pepper and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes. Add tomato sauce, Bijol, the remaining salt, dry wine, and mix. Cook for an additional 5 minutes at medium heat.
- Add pork, chicken broth and pumpkin, and cook at medium heat for 15 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Add okra and plantain balls, and cook for 5 additional minutes. Taste, and add additional salt if needed. To thicken sauce, mash in several pieces of pumpkin.
You may also like: Sweet plantain baskets.