Prep/Cook Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for the Eggplant:
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil (more if needed)
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into 3⁄4-inch-thick rounds
- Table salt
- 3 tablespoons Ginger and Honey Marinade
Ingredients for the Ginger and Honey Marinade:
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup warmed liquid honey
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime or lemon zest
To Make the Marinade:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir thoroughly to combine. Transfer to a covered, nonreactive container and refrigerate until needed.
- Heat the oil in a large lidded skillet over medium-low heat. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the eggplant and cook, covered, 12 to 14 minutes on each side, until soft and well browned. If all the eggplant slices don’t fit into the skillet, do this using two skillets simultaneously. This way, the first batch won’t get cold while you are making the second batch.
- Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- Season with salt.
- Place on a serving platter and drizzle with the marinade. Serve immediately.
Note: Alternatively, you can also roast the eggplant. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray a foil-lined baking sheet with nonstick cooking oil. Place the eggplant slices in a single layer on the sheet. Spray the slices with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt. Roast for about 25 minutes, until soft and browned.
Next ArticleRead This