Yes, salads are usually associated with balmy weather, but sometimes you might want a lighter dish in winter. Though many of the salads we've chosen here are filling enough on their own, you can add hot soup or a warm sandwich for a heartier meal. Think of them as fresh and crunchy reminders of summer.
1. Winter Radicchio Slaw by Jonathan King, Kathy Gunst and Jim Stott
This tangy salad with radicchio, endive and apples is a nice, light accompaniment to a meat dish.
Per Serving: 87 calories, 1g saturated fat, 10g carbohydrates, 2g protein, 3g fiber
2. Red Chard, Avocado and Blood Orange With Mango-Chutney Dressing by Eric Gower
A fruity dressing paired with red chard brings zesty flavors to this healthy salad.
Per Serving: 243 calories, 2g saturated fat, 21g carbohydrates, 4g protein, 7g fiber
3. Tender Greens With Pears, Apples, Grapes, Gorgonzola and Grilled Chicken by Lauren Groveman
A perfect mix of sweet and savory with fall fruits and sharp cheese, this recipe makes a delicious main course. To lower the fat, you can always toast the walnuts rather than cook them in butter.
Per Serving: 757 calories, 15g saturated fat, 30g carbohydrates, 38g protein, 5g fiber
4. Red-Leaf, Fig and Serrano Ham Salad by Nigella Lawson
Thinly slice all ingredients for a beautiful (and tasty) ensemble of reds, pinks and greens.
Per Serving: 178 calories, 4g saturated fat, 12g carbohydrates, 10g protein, 2g fiber
5. Escarole and Gruyere Salad With Walnut Oil by Janet Fletcher
This salad requires only a few ingredients, including toasted walnuts (yum), and is easily thrown together to accompany a bowl of soup.
Per Serving: 237 calories, 6g saturated fat, 8g carbohydrates, 11g protein, 6g fiber
6. Warm Salad of Roasted Squash, Prosciutto and Pecorino by Jamie Oliver
With the inclusion of butternut squash, you won't need a heavy protein to make this a meal. And just exclude the prosciutto for a delicious vegetarian dish.
Per Serving: 581 calories, 10g saturated fat, 31g carbohydrates, 34g protein, 5g fiber
7. Winter Spinach Salad With Roasted Pears, Blue Cheese Toasts and Dried Cranberry Vinaigrette by Jonathan King, Kathy Gunst, and Jim Stott
This salad has a little bit of everything: greens, fruit, cheese and bread. The homemade blue cheese toasts require a little extra effort but take it up a notch.
Per Serving: 290 calories, 5g saturated fat, 28g carbohydrates, 7g protein, 4g fiber
8. Red Cabbage Salad With Black-Eyed Peas by Steve and Elena Kapelonis
Mustard seeds, olive oil and paprika lend flavor to this colorful salad. You can add tuna for more protein.
Per Serving: 150 calories, 8g fat, 19g carbohydrates, 3g protein, 5g fiber
9. Kasha and Beet Salad With Celery and Feta by Judith Finlayson
This crunchy (and gluten-free) beet-based salad includes kasha, which is toasted buckwheat.
Per Serving: 191 calories, 3g saturated fat, 23g carbohydrates, 7g protein, 4g fiber