- 14 ounces unsweetened passion fruit purée
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar (for whipping cream)
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons passion fruit liqueur
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 6 large egg whites
- ¼ tablespoon cream of tartar
- Sliced strawberries for garnish
** If the purée is not sweet enough, add sugar to taste.
1. Place large bowl in freezer.
2. Let passion fruit purée stand at room temperature. Add sugar and mix well.
3 In a medium-size pan, heat 4 ounces of purée and add gelatin.
4. Using a hand mixer, mix well purée, lemon juice and passion fruit liqueur.
5. In a medium-size pan, at medium heat, add purée mixture and ½ cup water. Mix, bring to boil and turn off heat. Set aside until mixture reaches room temperature.
6. Using a hand mixer, beat egg whites with cream of tartar and confectioners’ sugar until mixture acquires a firm consistency.
7. In another bowl, beat whipping cream with three tablespoons of sugar until firm.
8. Fold egg whites slowly into whipping cream mixture.
9. Fold passion fruit purée mix into above mixture. Place mixture in frozen bowl and cool in refrigerator one hour before serving.
10. Garnish with strawberry slices.