Yields: 6 portions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and deveined, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups unsalted commercial vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup (8 ounces) pumpkin, peeled and cut into medium-sized cubes
- 1 white yautia (cocoyam, tannier), peeled and cut into medium-sized cubes
- ¾ cup (6 ounces) turnips, peeled and cut into medium-sized cubes
- ¾ cup (6 ounces) carrots, peeled and cut into medium-sized cubes
- 2 cans (15.15 ounces) butter beans, drained
- 8 ounces (one bunch) Swiss chard, rinsed, leaves only
- In a large pot, heat olive oil at medium heat. Sauté onions until translucent (approximately 2–3 minutes).
- Add garlic and red pepper and cook for 1 additional minute. Add scallion and tomato paste. Mix and cook for 3 additional minutes.
- Add cilantro, bay leaf, vegetable broth, salt and pepper, and cook at medium heat until it starts to boil.
- Add pumpkin, turnip, carrot and yautia. Cook covered at medium-low heat for 15–20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add chard and beans. Mix and cook for 5 more minutes, then serve.
You may also like: Winter-proof your pantry.
Discounts & Benefits
Next ArticleRead This