5 eggs, separated
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1/3 cup lemon juice
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1-1/3 cups hot water
1 tablespoon butter
1 9-inch baked pie shell
10 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Put the egg yolks in a bowl and add the sugar, lemon rind and juice, and cornstarch. Mix well.
2. Put the mixture in the top of a double boiler and add hot water a bit at a time, stirring until the mixture is smooth and thick. Stir in the butter and a pinch of salt. Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool.
3. Pour the cooled lemon mixture into the pie shell.
4. To make the meringue, beat the egg whites, slowly adding the sugar, cream of tartar, and another pinch of salt. Cover the lemon custard with the meringue, forming peaks with a whisk.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the meringue is golden brown.
Nutrients per serving: 400 calories, 6g protein, 69g carbohydrates, 1g dietary fiber, 12g fat, 136mg cholesterol, 213mg sodium
Discounts & Benefits
Next ArticleRead This