Breakfast: Blueberry‐banana smoothie; whole‐wheat toast with almond butter
Snack #1: Five celery sticks with 1 tablespoon all-natural peanut butter
Lunch: Minestrone soup; 1 apple
Snack #2: Small container of unsweetened applesauce
Dinner recipe: Whole Wheat Pasta With Spinach and Salmon
- ½ box whole‐wheat penne (or spaghetti)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons extra‐virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1½ cups baby spinach
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 4-ounce wild salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes.
2. Drain the pasta and transfer to a large bowl. Add the garlic, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, basil, capers, lemon juice, spinach and salt. Toss.
3. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the salmon and cook for approximately 3 minutes per side. Remove from the pan.
4. Add the salmon to the pasta. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
Nutrients per serving: 464 calories, 32g protein, 37g carbohydrates, 9g dietary fiber, 21g fat (3g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium
Breakfast: 1 cup plain Greek yogurt with blueberries and walnuts; rye toast; half a cantaloupe
Snack #1: Handful of nuts (peanuts, almonds, pecans or cashews)
Lunch: Cranberry‐turkey sandwich on whole‐wheat bread
Snack #2: 1 peach
Dinner recipe: Shredded Chicken Tacos
- 4 whole‐wheat tortillas
- ½ pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast, skinned and cooked
- 4 lime wedges
1. Heat the tortillas in microwave or toaster oven until warm.
2. Mix the tomatoes, avocado, green pepper, red onion and salt in a bowl.
3. Divide the chicken evenly among the tortillas. Top each with the avocado and tomato mixture. Serve with lime wedges on the side.
Nutrients per serving: 313 calories, 20g protein, 28g carbohydrates, 4g dietary fiber, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 325mg sodium