Mother’s Day is a perfect occasion for a family meal. Plan a family potluck with chilled summer soups, inventive and flavorful salads, seafood-laden entrees, homemade bread and a sweet finish. And while you’re at it, try to make it healthy. Here are low-fat recipes for a Mother’s Day meal with more than a hint of Mediterranean flavor, and some fresh springtime indulgences for dessert.
1. Chilled beet soup by Christopher Idone: This jewel-colored cold soup is perfect for warm weather, with the sweetness of the beets offset by scallions, lemon and fresh dill. It can be made a day ahead of time so there’s less to do before dinner. Per serving: 167 calories, 3 g fat
2. Lobster and roasted pepper salad by Julia Della Croce: This tasty springtime dish can be assembled up to eight hours in advance and refrigerated, then served at room temperature. Sweet, rich lobster makes it a splurge worthy of the special holiday. Per serving: 105 calories, 3 g fat
3. Poached cod with fennel, carrots and potatoes by Lora Zarubin: Delicate whitefish is bolstered with carrots and potatoes, while fennel adds a sweet complexity to the flavor of this stew. If you’ve never made fish stock before, this fresh version is worth the extra effort. Per serving: 306 calories, 1 g fat
4. Spring lettuces with sweet peas, chives, dill and mint by Frank Stitt: Herb-laden salads are perfect for adding lots of flavor to a meal without relying on fat- and sodium-heavy sauces. For a variation on this recipe, add some sliced steamed new potatoes or cubes of feta cheese. Per serving: 21 calories, 0 g fat
5. Olive-herb-potato fougasse by Lou Seibert Pappas: This pull-apart bread includes mashed potatoes in the dough, as well as olives and fresh herbs. It pairs well with Mediterranean meals. Per serving: 151 calories, 3 g fat
6. Swordfish with thyme-scented asparagus by Anya Von Bremzen: Fresh citrus juice and floral honey combine with minced thyme to invoke flavors of the Mediterranean. Per serving: 296 calories, 9 g fat
7. Pappardelle with escarole by Nigella Lawson: This quick and simple pasta dish with parsley, Parmesan and escarole gets a little edge from white wine and red chile. Per serving: 397 calories, 6 g fat
8. Floating island by Craig Claiborne: This classic French dessert consists of meringue floating on vanilla custard. It’s for experienced home cooks and those looking to challenge their skills, but the payoff is worth the trouble! Per serving: 232 calories, 4 g fat
9. The ultimate fruit salad by Jamie Oliver: For a light and fresh dessert, this elegant fruit salad makes a pretty presentation with mint-infused sugar. Per serving: 245 calories, 1 g fat
10. Zesty lemon granita by Victoria Blashford-Snell and Brigitte Hafner: This refreshing frozen lemonade treat contains just two ingredients: lemons and sugar. It’s simple to make but requires half a day, so plan ahead! Per serving: 161 calories, 0 g fat
You may also like: Mom's whoopie pies.