Arugula Salad With Apple, Grapes, Quinoa and Toasted Walnuts
For the dressing:
- 1 teaspoon toasted ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
For the salad
- 1-1/2 cups packed arugula, rinsed and dried
- 1 cup packed baby spinach, rinsed and dried
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa (regular or red), cooled
- 2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 cup seedless grapes (red and green mixed), cut in half
- 1 medium apple, quartered, cored and diced
- In a small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine all the salad ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the salad. Toss to mix well and serve immediately.
Nutrients per serving: 244 calories, 4g protein, 22g carbohydrates, 4g fiber, 17g fat (2g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 13mg sodium
Curried Broccoli With Tomatoes, Garlic and Coconut Milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped or diced tomatoes
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or less to taste)
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can light coconut milk
- Half a lemon
- Steamed rice, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until the onions are just soft but not browned, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for about 3 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and cilantro. Cook for about 1 minute more.
- Add the curry powder, salt and coconut milk and mix well to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until all the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Just before serving, sprinkle some lemon juice over the meal.
- Serve hot over steamed rice.
Nutrients per serving (not including rice): 164 calories, 3g protein, 20g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 9g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 363mg sodium