Experience Corps unites teachers, schools and older adults to improve the academic and social outcomes of children. Our model therefore has three beneficiaries: children, schools and older adults — a triple win.
A Win for Students
- Academic skill building and mentoring
- Significant gains in reading achievement
A Win for Schools
- Valuable support for teachers and principals
- Turnkey volunteer management
A Win for Older Adults
- Meaningful opportunity in their community
- Improved physical and mental health
What makes AARP Foundation Experience Corps successful?
- Focus on outcomes: Produces measurable results for students, schools and 50-plus adults
- High member commitment: Ensures reliable, consistent support to students
- Rigorous member training: Provides highly qualified tutors and mentors for students, and new skills for volunteer members
- Team-based approach: Creates peer support network; establishes significant presence in schools
- Community roots: Connects schools and communities; fosters public/private partnerships
AARP Foundation Experience Corps Cities
- Baltimore, MD
- Beaumont, TX
- Boston, MA
- Buffalo, NY
- Chicago, IL
- Cleveland, OH
- Evansville, IN
- Grand Rapids, MI
- Marin County, CA
- Minneapolis, MN
- New Haven, CT
Can’t find us in your city?
Check out other volunteer opportunities »
More and more research shows if seniors want to feel younger and stay healthier longer they need to get involved with life. Going to classes, attending art programs, and of course, volunteering. So while you're helping the students you tutor, you're definitely helping your own health as well. And that's a definite win-win solution.