Alert
Close

Think you know AARP? What you don’t know about us may surprise you. Discover all the ‘Real Possibilities’

Highlights

Close

50 Years on the Job and Still Going Strong

These icons prove that career longevity can exist

The Rolling Stones

Rock legends

On the job since: 1962

Big break: Signing with Decca Records in 1963 and cutting first 45, "Come On"/"I Want to Be Loved."

Career stats: The "world's greatest rock 'n' roll band" has cut 92 singles, 29 studio albums and 10 live albums.

Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Image

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Supreme Court Justice

On the job since: 1959

First big job: She was the second female faculty member of Rutgers University Law School, 1963.

Quote: "My mother told me to be a lady. And for her, that meant be your own person, be independent."

Terry Ashe/Time & Life Images/Getty Images

Plácido Domingo

Tenor

On the job since: 1957

Big break: Joining the Mexico National Opera.

Known for: One of the Three Tenors, with Luciano Pavarotti and Jose Carreras.

Quote: "I won't deprive myself of singing opera as long as my voice follows."

Ira Nowinski/Corbis

Queen Elizabeth II

Monarch

On the job since: 1952

The beginning: Her uncle King Edward VIII abdicated the throne in 1936, making her father King George VI and herself next in line.

Crowning moment: She became a queen at age 25, with the first televised coronation.

Hulton Archive/Getty Images

Warren Buffett

Business magnate

On the job since: 1943

Little-known fact: At age 13, he delivered newspapers and sold his own horseracing tip sheet, claiming his bike as a $35 tax deduction.

You know him best by: The world's third-richest man title. He also plans to leave his $44 billion to charity.

Ben Baker/Redux

Maya Angelou

Author, poet

Writing since: 1958, when she joined the Harlem Writers Guild.

You know her best by: Her book I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and her poem "Still I Rise." 

Also of Interest: Maya Angelou's Center for Women’s Health and Wellness

AP

Itzhak Perlman

Violinist

On the job since: 1958

Quotable: "There are people who are uncanny, who are finished products at a young age. I wasn't, thank God."

David Redfern/Getty Images

Vin Scully

Dodgers baseball broadcaster

On the job since: 1950

He made it when: At 25 he became the youngest person ever to broadcast the World Series, 1953.

Quotable: "It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star Game and an old-timer's game."

Chris Williams/Icon SMI/Corbis

Barbara Walters

Television journalist

On the job since: 1961

She made it when: She traveled with first lady Jacqueline Kennedy to India and Pakistan for NBC's Today Show, 1961.

Quotable: "Most attractive males talk to most attractive women as if they were Rotarians comparing sales percentages in Des Moines."

Douglas Kirkland/Corbis

Betty White

Actress and AARP ambassador

On the job since: 1949

She made it when: She was nominated for the 1951 Emmy for best actress, along with Judith Anderson, Gertrude Berg, Imogene Coca and Helen Hayes.

Quotable: "I can't get over that at this age I don't feel this age. I'm not trying to be any younger. I'm not lying about my age. If I were lying about my age, I would say I was 89."

Also of Interest: Betty White reflects on new book, My Life at the Zoo

Bettmann/Corbis

Stephen Hawking

Physicist

On the job since: 1962

He made it when: He became a member of the Institute of Astronomy at Cambridge University, 1968

Quotable: "I don't have much positive to say about motor neuron disease. But it taught me not to pity myself, because others were worse off, and to get on with what I still could do. I'm happier now than before I developed the condition."

Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images

Jacques Pépin

Chef

On the job since: 1949

He made it when: In his 20s he became personal chef to French President Charles de Gaulle.

Quotable: "I was a little jealous. This was the type of book I should have written." — on reading Julia Child's not-yet-published Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

Steven Senne/AP Photo

• Pinterest
  • Google+

In 1962, six young Brits formed a band that has brought us infinite satisfaction for five decades. As the Stones first started rollin', a handful of others were already on paths that would prove as illustrious — and long-lived. We present our golden-career favorites.

More Articles of
Interest

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.

Being Social