Save 30% in June on the AARP Smart Driver™ Online Course. Use Promo Code NSM2017

A Dazzling Hollywood Night

Stars shine at AARP's 16th Annual Movies for Grownups Awards

• Jordan Strauss

A Night to Remember

AARP's Movies for Grownups Awards drew a Hollywood Who's Who Monday. Helen Mirren got into the spirit and the fun of the evening with a selfie to start things off.  

1 of 16
  • Gabriel Olsen/Getty Images

Sealed With a Kiss

Helen Mirren presented Morgan Freeman with his career achievement honor and a congratulatory kiss at the 16th Movies for Grownups Awards. She told the audience Freeman is “flirtatious,” and he said, “I want the world to know I’m in love with Helen Mirren.”

2 of 16

Class Act

Morgan Freeman poses with producing partner Lori McCreary, who told the audience that career achievement winner Freeman is in computer terms a WYSIWYG — what you see is what you get.

3 of 16

Dynamic Duo

Annette Bening, accompanied by her husband, Warren Beatty, accepted the best actress award for her role in 20th Century Women and announced to the crowd that she and Beatty will soon to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary.  

4 of 16
  • Getty Images

Age Disruptor

AARP CEO Jo Ann Jenkins, the author of the book Disrupt Aging, welcomed the 350 guests and asked the Hollywood audience to keep making movies that matter.  

5 of 16

Top Prize

Alfre Woodard presented the best movie for grownups award to Loving — the story of a couple who changed the law barring interracial marriage.

6 of 16
  • Getty Images

Love for 'Loving'

Ruth Negga, star of Loving, accepted the best movie for grownups award, calling the couple at the center of the film “pioneers who fought for love.”

7 of 16

Busy Host

Television and movie star Margo Martindale not only guided the AARP Movies Grownups show, she accepted the award for Best Love Story for her movie The Hollars and presented the Best Actress award to Annette Bening.

8 of 16

Three Amigos

Jeff Bridges, center, took home the best supporting actor award for his portrayal of a tired Texas Ranger in Hell or High Water and enjoyed the night with two of his buddies, Treat Williams, left, and Edward James Olmos, right.

9 of 16

International Favorite

Isabelle Huppert, who starred in the French movie Elle, accepted the best foreign language film award from Sharon Stone. Stone said director Paul Verhoeven’s films “need to be understood by grownups.”

10 of 16
  • Getty Images

Family Fun

Annette Bening and her 20th Century Women costar Lucas Jade Zumann, who played her son, had a good time presenting their writer-director Mike Mills with best intergenerational movie.

11 of 16
  • Getty Images

In Grownup Territory

Justin Timberlake said, “I see a ton of my idols” in the room as he presented Brian Grazer the award for best documentary for Eight Days a Week, about the Beatles touring years.

12 of 16
  • Getty Images

Making Music

Kenny Loggins, center, and his band celebrated the Beatles documentary with a medley of Beatles hits,  much to the delight of the audience.

13 of 16
  • Getty Images

Oscar Darling

Academy Award nominee Viola Davis accepted her best supporting actress award forFences with a tribute to writer August Wilson, someone she said portrayed “people who lived and breathed and I have to believe — they mattered.”

14 of 16
  • Matt Sayles

The Man Who Built 'Fences'

Fences director and star Denzel Washington took home the best actor award for the movie, telling the audience, “When I turned 60, I looked in the mirror and said, ‘Denzel, this not a dress rehearsal. This is life.’ ”

15 of 16
  • AARP
    16 of 16

Join the Discussion

0 | Add Yours

Please leave your comment below.

You must be logged in to leave a comment.

Next Article

Read This