More than 90 percent of older adults report that they would like to stay in their homes, says Elinor Ginzler, director of Livable Communities at AARP. One way to make that possible for your loved one is to hire a home care worker through an agency. When choosing an agency, ask these questions:
See also: Types of in-home care providers.
- What credentials do staff members have?
- What training does the agency offer to staff?
- What are the costs?
- What are the coverage options?
- Does this agency offer Medicare or Medicaid payment? (Also see if Medicare or Medicaid covers the type of care that your loved one needs.)
- What emergency procedures are in place?
Also ask for references for the agency and for specific workers within that agency. Beware of any agency that refuses to provide references.