En español | Their answers will give you a clearer picture of how your parents are faring and will help you assess their needs.
- Is your home still appropriate for you now that you’re getting older?
- Can you manage the stairs, or would you do better on one level?
- Does your home have any safety hazards?
- Could simple modifications to your home make it more convenient?
- Should you think about living somewhere else?
- Do you need help with household chores, such as cleaning, fixing meals or taking care of the yard?
- Does poor eyesight interfere with your daily activities?
- Can you always hear the telephone or a knock at the door?
- Is driving difficult for you?
- Do you have reliable transportation for shopping, medical visits, religious services and visits with family and friends?
- What health problems do you have?
- Are your prescriptions current?
- Have you been to your doctor lately?
- What has your doctor told you about your health?
- Has your doctor or pharmacist reviewed all of your medications for side effects and potentially dangerous interactions?
- Are you having any problems taking your medications?
- Could you use help remembering what pills to take and when?
- Can you pay for your medicines?
Their Health Care
- What kind of health insurance do you have, and do you have Medicare, Medicaid or a Medigap supplement policy?
- Has your insurance plan paid your health care bills?
- Do you have long-term care insurance or life insurance?
- Have you paid your insurance premiums?
- Would you like help with filling out forms, such as insurance claims?
- Have you been told that insurance won’t cover medical tests or procedures that your doctor has ordered?
- Do you have any questions about Medicare or Medicaid?
- What are your current and likely future bills?
- Can you pay for what you need?
- Do you need help getting government or pension benefits?
- Do you need help with financial planning to make your money last?
- Are your Social Security and pension checks deposited directly in the bank?
- Is all of your financial information in one place?
- Have you considered a reverse mortgage, which would provide extra income from the equity in your home?
- Have you considered that you might need money down the road to help pay for assistance with everyday activities?
- Do you have any bills you can't pay?
- Do you have an estate plan and a will, as well as a living will and health care proxy?
Note: Finances can be a sensitive topic; you may want to be less direct with your questions.