FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: AARP Media Relations, 202-434-2560, firstname.lastname@example.org
WASHINGTON—Today, AARP, announced it will make available a new fitness website to help its over 39 million members lead active, healthy lives. Through AARP’s for-profit subsidiary AARP Services, Inc., the new website aarpfitness.org offers fitness tips, diet and nutrition advice and also shows members how to take advantage of discounts on personal training services from the American Council on Exercise and gym memberships from Curves and Gold’s Gym.
“The 50+ age group is one of the most health-conscious segments of our population and our new fitness website is going to provide our members with the tools and information to make it easier to live a healthy life. We have leveraged the power of over 39 million members to deliver valuable discounts and information for our membership to help them maintain a healthy lifestyle,” said Bill Novelli, CEO of AARP.
AARPfitness.com is a destination with fitness tools and educational resources to help AARP members make better personal fitness and nutrition decisions. Members will be able to learn about a suite of fitness products and services from providers, and obtain “member only” benefits on health club memberships. The fitness program will be a catalyst in helping Americans 50+ become more health conscious and active.
Features of the New Fitness Website: * Fitness tools and information – The website will offer fitness and nutrition tools to assess fitness levels including body mass index and basil metabolic calculators, an activity calculator, a nutrition tracker, a virtual exercise library and healthy recipes. These tools will help with goal setting and tracking, demonstrate exercises and provide recipes for meal planning. In addition, the site will link to other AARP resources such as AARP’s walking programs.
* Locate a Gym – Members will be able to identify a nearby Curves or Gold’s Gym where they are eligible for a member-only discount on the enrollment fee and/or membership fee.
* Diet and Nutrition Services – Members will be able to use a nutrition tracker to manage their food intake, choose from a variety of healthy recipes and receive nutrition and healthy meal option tips and information online.
Summary of Special AARP Member Only Discounts:
* American Council on Exercise – As a leading personal training certification organization with over 40,000 trainers in the U.S., the American Council on Exercise will offer AARP members up to 15 percent off personal training sessions and a 20 percent discount for members who want to become a trainer.
* Curves – As the largest health club for women with more than 10,000 locations, Curves will provide AARP members $100 off their normal enrollment fees (from $149.00 to $49.00), and a free seven day trial membership.
* Gold’s Gym – As the largest co-ed gym with over 650 locations Gold’s Gym will offer AARP members the ability to enroll for only $49.00 and a savings of up to a 20 percent on their monthly membership as well as a seven day free trail membership period.