HIGHLIGHTS OF EXHIBIT HALL
- Books and Bricks
AARP is partnering with the Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation in a community outreach project to provide books for the elementary and secondary divisions of the school. This school has opened a new and spacious library, but few additional funds exist to provide books for those empty shelves. An on-going effort with AARP members and AARP and NRTA staff has been underway since September to fill the library shelves. All books that are purchased will go directly into the library at the Agassi Preparatory Academy. Books can be bought three ways: on-line, Life@50+ Member Event booth or at Barnes and Noble stores near you. Come see the difference AARP members and the Las Vegas community can make for the start of the 2004/05 school year.
- Veterans History Exhibit and Program
Staff will record veterans' oral histories for the Library of Congress' collection. AARP and the Library of Congress have taken thousands of histories to date and this event will offer opportunity to collect even more.
- Voices of Civil Rights Project
AARP, the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights (LCCR), and the Library of Congress are proud to present Voices of Civil Rights. Listen and read thousands of untold firsthand accounts of this pivotal period in American history through the web as well as print and broadcast outlets. The Civil Rights bus has traveled around the country over the past few months and will arrive on the floor of the exhibit hall.
The Performance Stage will showcase The Herald Trumpets opening the exhibit hall; Cirque Stilt Walkers, The Winged Atmosphere Dancer, The Juggler, The Ribbon Strolling Atmosphere, Louie Louie Vegas Band, AARP Silver Stars, The Doo-Woop Band, and Meet and Greet The Rat Pack: Frank, Sammy and Dean and Elvis Presley. Other performers for Friday and Saturday include Mirachi Saguayo and Latin Folklorico Group, Disk Jockey: Best of Steve Scott, Chuy & Company Salsas Band and Salsa Dance Instructors and The Golden New Orleans Band.
Lifestyle Sessions (1:00-2:00 p.m.)-These sessions are designed to share unique approaches to making the most out of life after 50 and to empower people to take charge of the economic, social, and physical aspects of their life@50+.
- Brain Health Across the Lifespan: Keeping the Mind Alert in Later Life (Venetian Hall D2) Dr. Paul Nussbaum
- AARP Celebrates Cinema Kickoff (Venetian Hall D1) - Roger Ebert, co-host of " Ebert & Roeper and the Movies, " which appears on more than 200 television stations and ranks as the top-rated weekly syndicated half-hour show on television, will kick off AARP Celebrates Cinema.
- Hallmark Writers on Tour (Venetian Casanova 504) Barbara Loots (host), Bill Gray and Molly Wigand
- Music for the Health of It (Venetian Casanova 506) - Dr. Barry Bittman, MD, is a neurologist, author, international speaker, award-winning producer/director, inventor, and CEO and Medical Director of the Mind-Body Wellness Center, a comprehensive, interdisciplinary outpatient medical facility in Meadville, PA. Dr. Bittman's programs integrate the power of mind, body and spirit with conventional medical care.
- Your Financial Life@50+: Safe, Simple, Secure with U.S. Treasury Securities (Sands 203) Paul Vogelzang, Executive Director, Investor Education and Communications Staff, Bureau of the Public Debt, in the Department of the Treasury, Washington, DC. will lead a discussion on investing in U.S. Treasury Securities.