NRTA and National Institute on Retirement Security Collaboration
NRTA has released a comprehensive Pension Education Toolkit, developed in collaboration with the National Institute on Retirement Security. The toolkit offers fact sheets and other resource materials that could be helpful in discussions about the attributes of defined benefit pension plans. Below are the key resources of the NRTA Pension Education Toolkit.
Topical Fact Sheets
- The Economy and Your Pension (PDF). Group-based pension plans weathered the economic storm better than individual account plans.
- Pension Funding Gaps (PDF). Pension funding gaps are manageable and can be filled in 30 years if total contributions increase by just 2.2% of payroll.
- Pension Contribution Requirements (PDF). Keeping the pension plan well-funded is a shared responsibility between employees and employers.
- The Importance of Your Pension (PDF). Traditional defined benefit pensions provide a cost-effective and guaranteed monthly income for life.
- The Importance of Your Pension (non-Social Security states) (PDF). This version of the above fact sheet is for employees not covered through Social Security.
- Cost of Living Adjustments (COLAs) (PDF). COLAs help to ensure that retirees’ purchasing power is maintained, no matter how quickly prices might rise.
Additional Toolkit Materials
- Public Pension Fact Sheet (PDF). An executive summary emphasizing key characteristics and data about traditional defined benefit pensions for public employees.
- State-by-State Facts and Figures (PDF). Correlating state-specific research. Click on the gray title areas in the report to link to the appropriate sections.
- Glossary (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
Since 2009, NRTA: AARP’s Educator Community has worked with the National Institute on Retirement Security (NIRS). NIRS was established to contribute to informed policymaking by fostering a deep understanding of the value of retirement security to employees, employers, and the economy through national research and education programs. NIRS seeks to encourage the development of public policies that enhance retirement security in America.
For more information about the NRTA Pension Education Toolkit, please email Dara Lenhof Dann at email@example.com or call (202) 434-3931.
Next ArticleRead This