- Discounts on travel and everyday savings.
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine.
- Free membership for your spouse or partner.
What We Do
AARP helps people turn their goals and dreams into real possibilities, strengthens communities and fights for the issues that matter most to families — such as employment security, health care and retirement planning.
The principles of collective purpose, collective voice and collective purchasing power guide our efforts.
Highlights of AARP’s recent social mission at work are contained in a booklet called “Real Possibilities in Action: Achieving Our Social Mission." It features achievements by AARP, AARP Foundation, AARP Foundation Experience Corps, Legal Counsel for the Elderly and AARP Services Inc.
Download the Booklet: Real Possibilities in Action: Achieving Our Social Mission (PDF)
AARP fights for age 50 and over individuals and their families at the local, state and national levels. We work on important issues, such as:
- Leading efforts to strengthen Social Security and promote other retirement savings efforts to help everyone achieve lifetime financial security
- Promoting adequate, affordable health care, including prescription drugs and long-term care
- Fostering communities with affordable and appropriate housing, as well as supportive community features and options for getting around
Recent advocacy victories include saving residential consumers a combined $3 billion on utility bills in 2012 and 2013. To learn more about our advocacy, please visit our Advocacy section on AARP.org.
People imagine and shape better lives with information and inspiration from AARP’s publications and multimedia offerings. We produce AARP The Magazine, the nation’s largest-circulation magazine; AARP Bulletin, the go-to news source for the 50+ audience; an award-winning website (www.aarp.org); AARP television and radio programming; AARP Books; and AARP en Espaňol, a bilingual news source.
Helping others to help themselves has been a core value of AARP for more than 50 years. AARP members form a powerful community that works toward the betterment of society. These efforts include:
- AARP Caregiving Resource Center, a major initiative that makes resources available to people who provide unpaid care to family members and friends.
- Create The Good®, which connects people to service opportunities based on their time, interests, community or skills.
- Driver Safety, a flagship volunteer-led program that helps a half-million drivers of all ages learn safety strategies each year.
Member Products, Services and Discounts
AARP leads the way in the marketplace by influencing companies to offer new and better choices for our members and 50+ Americans. AARP makes available through third-party providers high-quality products, services and discounts specifically catering to the unique needs and wants of our members and the entire 50 and over population.
With a focus on quality management and customer service, we hold companies that provide AARP-branded offerings to a high standard.
AARP-branded offerings fall under four main categories:
- Health (including insurance plans and discounts on prescription drugs, fitness club memberships, eyewear and hearing aids)
- Financial (including credit cards, auto and home insurance, annuities and life insurance, and financial guidance)
- Travel (including savings on rental cars, airlines, vacation packages, tours, cruises, hotels and roadside assistance)
- Discounts (including retail stores, groceries, dining, cellphones and other personal technology products, car repairs and entertainment)
Through forward-looking research and practical solutions, AARP fosters debate to make a positive difference.
For example, the AARP Public Policy Institute publishes major reports on health and financial security trends affecting the 50+ population. Our Research group conducts surveys on consumer issues that are relevant to the 50+ market.
Real Possibilities is a trademark of AARP.
Discounts & Benefits
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members pay $9.50 for Regal ePremiere Tickets online. Conditions apply.
Members earn points on select products at Walgreens.
Members save 15% on lunch and dinner every day at Outback Steakhouse.
Join or renew today! AARP members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.