Losing your credit card can be a hassle. Here are MyAssist's top three tips to recovering your credit card:
MyAssist Tip 1: Think Prevention
Take steps to avoid loss or theft:
- Make sure you have written down all bank and credit card customer service hotlines for easy reference.
- Don't say your card number out loud when others can hear you.
- Keep an eye on your card when you give it to a merchant or waiter.
- Keep your card's location a secret.
- Never throw away credit card receipts in public places.
- Use hotel safes for storing your credit and debit cards when not using.
MyAssist Tip 2: Report It Immediately
Call your bank and let them know the card is missing. They will probably cancel your account right away. This may limit your ability to use the card if you recover it, but it's better than having someone make illegal use of your credit.
MyAssist Step 3: Know Your Rights
Most credit cards offer liability protection so that you're not responsible for unauthorized use of your account beyond a minimal amount. Review your account terms of service before any loss, so you know what protection is offered. Remember, liability protection may not be applied until the loss or theft is reported, so act quickly.