What is Connecting Caregivers to Community?
AARP Foundation and AARP are working with churches to implement the Connecting Caregivers to Community (CC2C) program. CC2C is a program to recognize, educate and support family caregivers through churches across America.
Although caregiving is a blessing, it can be a challenge. Family caregivers in your church may be lonely, overwhelmed, and suffering from stress-related illnesses. Some are unable to attend church services and activities. CC2C will enhance your ministry by providing the tools you need to offer group activities and one-on-one support for caregivers. And we know that caregivers who feel supported are significantly less likely to report loneliness and isolation.*
By participating in CC2C, your church demonstrates the love family caregivers deserve. This program helps to solidify your reputation as a caring community among members and your local community. It allows
your heart and your hand to be put on display.
Program Offerings AARP will provide what you need to successfully implement this program including free materials, volunteer training, monthly conference calls, communication tools, and an online information center.
Participating organizations will recruit volunteers to implement the following program activities:
• Group Support — Offer four group activities for family caregivers. Churches can choose to host caregiver educational sessions and/or caregiver recognition events.
• Care Buddy Volunteers — Match volunteers with family caregivers for one-on-one companionship and support.
• Reporting — Complete a short, monthly activities report and participatein a 30-minute, monthly, check-in conference call.
• Assessment — Distribute a pre-questionnaire and post-questionnaire to family caregivers. These surveys allow you to share with us how well the program is doing.
Your Family Caregivers
People in your church who care for older chronically ill loved ones often feel lonely and isolated. Many are unable to participate in church activities and long for fellowship and practical support from their
faith family. CC2C helps your congregation to:
• Support the rapidly growing number of family caregivers in your church and local community.
• Help caregivers in the congregation to access available resources.
• Recognize and address the needs of members.
• Provide resources and training to start or increase the role of your members’ care ministries.
• Expand your volunteer base.
• Reconnect members who have been away.
• Strengthen caregivers’ sense of community with their faith family.
• Attract more people from the community to the church.